Friday, September 16, 2011

Healthy Cooking: Couscous with Chick peas Salad



couscous 3


My friend who is into healthy living (my running/walking mate every Thursday at BGC) requested me to post healthy recipes. 

Last night, I bought a box of Casbah  Toasted Couscous (giant pasta pearls) with wild mushroom (P156) from Healthy Options. 

Couscous is a granular pasta made from semolina flour. It’s a staple in North Africa and is one key  ingredient  in Mediterranean cuisine.

I got the pearl ones, larger and shaped like a pearl compared to the usual small granular couscous.  Cooking method is also a bit different.  With regular couscous, you just steam or add boiling water/broth and let it sit till it’s done and fluffed to separate the grains.  With pearl couscous, it’s like cooking risotto but easier and less cooking time.  Flavor is nutty, with smooth, chewy texture.  

couscous 2

I used this type of couscous to make a vegetarian salad – with chick peas, Taiwan bokchoy, tomatoes, olive oil.  Things I found in my refrigerator.  This would make a perfect mate for grilled meats and fish.  I ate this on its own for breakfast this morning. 


couscous 4


COUSCOUS WITH CHICK PEAS SALAD

1 tbsp olive oil
Half pack of Casbah Toasted Couscous
1 stalk Taiwan bok choy, sliced into ½ inch pieces
1 tomato, deseeded & diced
½ cup canned chick peas, drained
1 Tbsp calamansi juice (or lemon)
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Cook couscous according to package directions.  Just before turning off the fire, add the chick peas and bokchoy.  Heat just enough to cook the bokchoy.  Remove from the fire and add the tomatoes, olive oil and calamansi juice.  Season with salt & pepper to taste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...