Sunday, September 18, 2011

Food Finds at the Mercato Centrale part 1

Note: This is a late post. 

mercato central feb

It was mid-February when I first went to Mercato Centrale in Fort Bonifacio. I met up with my friend, who is a chef/food stylist/photographer.  Mercato was still on its original location, a walking distance from Boni Hi-Street.

mercato february

mercato centrale feb

I arrived early morning around 7AM.  I was too early, some stall owners haven’t set up yet.  There were so many food choices. 



chuck's deli at mercato 3

First meal was the fish and chips from Chuck’s Grubberie.


chuck's deli at mercato 2

chuck's deli at mercato 1

Deep fried beer battered dory fillet with salted potato wedges and tartar sauce conveniently contained in a paper cone. It came with a lemon wedge. My fillets were a bit burnt and dark though, but still yummy.

pan de bagnet at mercato




Next, we lined up at Bale Datung for the Pan de Bagnet. 

 pan de bagnet at Mercato 2

Thin slices of crispy bagnet, layered with mustard leaves, red onions, and their secret sauce tucked inside a ciabatta bread.

lechon tortilla at mercato

I also got the Lechon Tortilla to take home.



After our meal, I went inside the tent to look around for goodies to take home.  Here’s what I found…


BBA at mercato

Cupcakes from Baked by Anita -  what attracted me to her stall was the array of tiny cupcakes  with unusual  flavors.  A bit pricey for such small cupcakes, but I was won over when I tasted the Sticky Date.  It was like food for the gods. 

BBA at mercato


BBA

I got the following flavors - clockwise: caramel apple topped, mango with tamarind buttercream, orange cranberry (with valharona chocolate glaze), sticky date, saffron n black salt, chocolate with brandied cherries (i love cherries!)




tina's pies at mercato

tina pies at mercato 2

Tina’s Pies – I read about these savory pies on lori b’s blog.  I got the chicken cordon bleu and beef san Miguel pies. 



cereal bar at mercato

Cereal Bars from the Muesli-Granola Kitchen -  these were healthy snacks I got for my second child, gabby, who loves cereal bars. 

cereal bar at mercato


cereal bars at mercato

They used muscovado sugar as sweetener and come in different flavors.




pistachio baklava
 
Anatolia’s  baklava  -  I got one piece to try, the pictachio baklava. These little Turkish delights were made from thin layers of phyllo dough, honey and nuts.



empire macarons at mercato 

Macarons from Empire -  I love macarons.  

empire macarons at mercato

I bought the 12 pc pack of different flavors. 




nutsylicious at mercato
 
Nutsylicious  -  here you’ll find nuts  still in their shells – walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, almonds, etc.  They also carry the green raisins, my first time to see one. I bought pictachios and dried figs.



cake pops at mercato

And since it was a Valentine weekend, I got a pink cake pop from Lollicake Factory for pipay. 


More Mercato food finds on my next entry…. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...