Monday, September 19, 2011

Food Finds at Mercato Centrale part 2

09.18.11

Last Saturday morning, I went back to Mercato Centrale to try the other  goodies I haven’t tried on my first visit.  This time they moved their location near MC Home depot on the 34th & 8th sts.  I met up with Lenz after a short run around Boni Hi Street.

My daughter Pipay came with me.  It was Pipay & Lenz’s first visit. 



Here’s a rundown of what we had:

mercato 2.10

Mi  Paella de Andaluz – this is one of the most  raved about dish in the recent Ultimate Taste Test held in Rockwell (unfortunately for me, I missed this as I have work that day).  And since I love paella, I don’t want to miss this.  It got mussels, clams, chicken, chorizo, bacon bits.  I particularly like  my paella with a bit of tutong underneath. One order cost P180. I was only able to eat half of the serving.  One serving is good for two people, unless you have a hearty appetite.  Honestly, I like Chef Ed Quimson’s paella over at the Salcedo Market better.  




mercato 2.5

Taclings  -  these are bite size tacos shaped like a siomai. 

mercato 2.4

mercato 2.3
The crispy, ruffled shells come in two varieties – regular and malunggay flavor.  I chose the regular flavor because even though I know the malunggay flavored shells are more nutricious, I didn’t like the shade of green. Looks kind of unnatural for me.  One bite, and all I can taste is the garlic cream. I can't remember tasting the ground beef.  I wish they would put more meat and season it more with Mexican spices. It lacked a bit of that Mexican taste from cumin and other spices.



mercato 2.2

Abub Cebuana Native Lechon -  I bought half a kilo  (P340) which I meant to cook into Lechon Sinigang for dinner (this merits a separate blog entry).




Other food items that caught my attention, but wasn't able to try.


mercato 2.7


mercato 2.6

Wha Pao – oven baked siopaos in the usual flavors  asado and bola bola; they also have chicken adobo and dulce de leche.  



mercato 2.12

MedChef by Hasset Go – home made cakes and pastries like chocolate revel bars, cream cheese brownies, walnut brownies cut into big squares, and sold at P100 for  3 bars.  I’m not fond of chocolate sweets lately so I passed up on these. 
 
mercato2.11

What I forgot to buy was their bread pudding crème brulee (P200). I made a mental note to come back and buy these after tasting a tiny bite, but I forgot to go back. This will be the first on my list when I come back for another visit. I love anything caramel and custardy.


mercato 2.8

mercato 2.9

As we went around the tented area looking for something to eat for breakfast,  we passed by this Morrocan food stall.  I got curious on their rice pilaf and fish fillet, and their Chicken Saffron Tagine.  I want to try the Chicken Tagine, but my tummy hankered for the Paella Andaluz.  Have to go back if only for this Morrocan chicken dish.
 

I also got the must haves – Baked by Anita cupcakes  and pistachios from Nutsylicious for my kids. 

mercato 2.1

Pipay, a picky eater,  ate grilled corn and snowcone from Matthew's....(that's a bag of pistachios she's holding  ^_^  )  

Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...