Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hot! Hot! Tamale!

When you think of Mexican cuisine, one would always think of the more popular dishes like tacos, fajitas, quesadillas, burritos.  One not so very popular Mexican dish is the tamales.





Tamales is one of the most ancient Mexican food.  It is made of masa harina, filled with shredded meat and wrapped in dried corn husk and steamed.  It is much like the tamales of Pampanga, though this Kapampangan dish is made with ground rice.  


Masa is a the Mexican word for dough, and specifically refers to the fresh corn dough used  to make corn tortillas and other corn dishes*.  The flour is called masa harina, made from sundried corn kernels  mixed with food grade lime (calcium oxide - to improve the flavor of the masa) and stone ground.


Mexican cuisine is one of my favorites.  A Mexican Cooking cookbook is part of my collection.

When I read about the Tamales at Hermanos Taco Shop in San Juan, I know I had to try it as it was the most recommended dish.  Pipay & I braved the afternoon traffic  in Greenhills, got lost along the way. I thought this tamales would better be worth the trouble.



Hermanos Tacos Shop sits, unobtrusively,  beside Petron gas station. That’s why we didn’t see it when we passed by Granada street in Gilmore.  I read that their dishes are authentic Mexican,  prepared by the Mexican chef/owner.  The interior is well lit and can accommodate 20-30 people (5 tables). The service, is not so good, I guess, because they have a lot of take out orders to serve that day. One girl mans the counter and she keeps disappearing inside the kitchen. Don’t expect a fancy table set-up.  This is more like a fast food type establishment.  The food presentation is good, but they use styro plates and plastic cutlery, which I don’t mind as long as the food is great.








I ordered of course the Tamales with beef (P320), Pipay had the chips and salsa (P55) and cheese (P30).  My tamales was served blanketed with cheese sauce, sour cream, topped with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.  It came with a mildly hot salsa.  The masa dough was soft and with a bit of texture but not gritty , the beef filling is flavorful.  The serving (two pieces) is good for two people, unless one has a big appetite. 






As for the chips, salsa and  cheese, this is Pipay’s verdict,  “ma, your cheese sauce is way better because yours has much more cheese.”   “And  free!”, I replied, teasing her.   I like their salsa, spicy yet refreshing. 





Would I go back there again to eat?  Yes, to try their other house specialty, the Mexican Menudo  and their Carne Asada Chips (Nachos to you and me) which is another highly recommended dish.  





*source: The practical encyclopedia of Mexican Cooking


Hermanos Taco Shop
#27 Granada Ave. corner Jose O. Vera St.,
Brgy. Valencia, Gilmore, Quezon City
Telephone: +632 570-8425

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...