Monday, March 7, 2011

Travel: Zamboanga City Hall


After lunch at La Oliva, we went back to the hotel. Time was ticking so slow here. Everything was laid back. M’s meeting is at 4PM. I went out to the terrace and took some more seascapes using the ND filter that Ricky lent to me. By 3:45PM, we walked towards the City Hall, a mere 10 minutes walk from the hotel, where M’s meeting will be. We went inside the City Hall, M to his meeting, while I went up the City Hall building to explore. Zamboanga City Hall was built in 1905 for the then American Governors during their terms. From the balcony, I had a good view of the pueblo - Rizal monument, Plaza Pershing, and University of Zamboanga.




side elevation of the city hall. This road leads to the pier.





a view of Rizal's monument from one of the city hall's windows.








the courtyard


almost everyone here owns a motorbike

Rizal monument up close

I went out a bit scared - on my own, with my camera, wearing an attention-getting-red shoes. Thoughts of kidnapping stories were on my mind and with M’s instructions for me not to go very far. I just went around the Rizal monument (Zamboanga’s little Luneta) just across the City Hall.

University of Zamboanga



Then over to Plaza Pershing. Plaza Pershing was named after an American general, John “Blackjack” Pershing, to honor his victory over Muslim insurgents.








Zamboanga City is fast becoming urbanized with the construction of malls, food and entertainment establishments. The last time I was here, downtown (pueblo) Zamboanga with its small shops were the place to buy everyday staples, clothes and other necessities.




Then I looked for a drugstore to buy medicines for my throat. By 5 PM I was on my way back to the hotel to catch the sunset and do more experimenting with the ND filter. According to M, the city government plans to restore the turn of the century architecture along N Valderossa street. One of those buildings houses this BPI branch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...