Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ensaladang Pako (fiddlehead fern salad)


On my first jaunt to Mercato Centrale a few weeks back, I chanced upon this once in a blue moon treat (I call this a treat, I’m trying to eat healthy now… more veggies and less meat). I was on my way out after sampling and buying goodies I had read about in food blogs and more than a thousand pesos poorer, I saw fern fronds peeking from a bunch of organic vegetables displayed in one stall. Pako! Trying to remember the last time I had a taste of this fiddlehead fern. I bought a bunch to make into a salad for dinner. This would be a refreshing side dish for fried fish or savory meat dish like adobo. This salad is so easy to put together.

Ensaladang Pako

a bunch of pako fern
tomatoes
shallots
salt and pepper
sugar
native
vinegar

Pick the young tips and leaves of the pako. Wash thoroughly. Blanch in boiling water for a few minutes. Immediately plunge into ice water to stop cooking and remain tender crisp.

Add sliced tomatoes and shallots.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar. Mix well and pour over the pako mixture.

Serve chilled.


.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...