Monday, October 22, 2012

Healthy Cooking: Pan Grilled Herbed Chicken Breasts


IMG_1197xx



It’s been two weeks since my surgery.  I can now go up and down the stairs. And that means… I am able to fix & cook my own food.  There were days when I just want to lie in bed, watch cooking shows (this helps in motivating me to cook again) and eat oatmeal or cereal.  There were days when I crave for something sweet.  But overall, things are getting better. I can’t go to work yet so I have to enjoy my laid back life as I recover.  Next month would be hectic.

Last Saturday,  I ventured out and went to work, though not as shooter, but to assist G in our photo booth venture.  G & I decided to make healthy eating a part of life. We agreed that we bring our own food during shoots.  

Most days, I’m online searching for low fat recipes.  It’s been over a month since I had pork or beef.  My protein sources now are chicken (white meat without skin), fish, soy milk, nuts. Though one medical test showed I have high levels of uric acid, my choices became more limited.  Gosh…. Old age is catching up fast on me.

Aside from fat, I had to reduce my sodium intake. So that means, less salt. Less salt = bland, no flavor = boring…. But of course it doesn’t have to!   Herbs can enhance and give flavor to food.
For my first healthy recipe entry, I will feature the chicken dish I cooked for our baon last Saturday, which G liked so much…

For those who know me, I don’t measure when I cook.   Most people find this chicken breast part bland. And seasonings can’t easily penetrate the thick part.  One way is to pound the thick part to flatten a bit and even the meat out before seasoning.  Rubs are also a great way to season meat.  Even with less salt, herb rubs can enhance or give flavor to meat.  Thyme is one of my favorite herbs to use for meats. I buy them fresh and let them dry out in their containers for future use. 
  


PAN GRILLED HERBED CHICKEN BREASTS

2 pcs chicken breasts  without skin
Apple cider vinegar (a few tablespoons)
Juice of  ½  a lemon (or  2 calamansi)
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Herb rub  -  crushed rosemary leaves, Spanish paprika, thyme, oregano, finely minced garlic
Freshly milled pepper
Salt (optional or you can use a salt substitute*)


Mix the herb rub in a bowl including the salt (if using) & pepper. 
Pat dry the chicken breasts.  Rub the chicken breast with the herb rub.
Add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil  & lemon juice
Marinate inside the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Heat a Teflon pan. Make sure pan is very hot.  Sear the chicken breasts, three minutes each side.

In this photo, I made a dish of mashed sweet potato, added a few dash of cinnamon & simple salad  to go with the chicken.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - Thanks for recommending a pan with Teflon® nonstick coating for use in your Pan Grilled Herbed Chicken Breast recipe. I represent DuPont and it's always a pleasure to see people recommending our products.

    If you are interested in some recipes to look at for your cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara. It's been a while since I updated this blog. But I do love cooking on non-stick pans like Teflon because I can use less oil. Thank you for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admin, if not okay please remove!

    Our facebook group “selfless” is spending this month spreading awareness on prostate cancer & research with a custom t-shirt design. Purchase proceeds will go to cancer.org, as listed on the shirt and shirt design.

    www.teespring.com/prostate-cancer-research

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...